I'm Brad Wales. I started Transition To RIA to fill a void in the marketplace: A firm providing a consultative approach, focused solely on the RIA model, and which is completely independent of any one solution. (Read a full review of my offering here.)
The guiding principals of the firm include:
Be the definitive source of information regarding transitioning to the RIA model Scheduling a one-on-one Discovery call is the most effective way for me to provide you with value. In the interim though, I also provide explanatory videos, podcasts, whitepapers, etc. all focused on helping you to better understand the model.
Be a specialist, not a generalist For the same reason you seek out a specialist to assist with a particular health issue, you need the same level of specialty expertise regarding the RIA model when it comes to evaluating options for your practice.
No question is too minor I've learned first hand over the years that advisor awareness and understanding of the RIA model varies widely. I help advisors along all knowledge levels regarding the model.
Provide advice that is independent of any one solution I purposely departed working at a custodian so that I could be completely independent and provide unbiased advice regarding ALL of the options available when transitioning to RIA.
Be approachable This is not to imply that approaching me specifically might be intimidating, but simply a realization that the process of seeking out such information can seem daunting. I work to make the process as easy and informative as possible. Rest assured, I have discretely helped advisors of all experience and AUM levels. I'd be happy to help you as well.
About Me (Brad Wales)
Nearly 20 years in the industry; 10+ directly in the RIA model
RIA Model Experience
Positions in Compliance, Finance, and Business Development.
Bachelors and MBA
4 / 7 / 24 / 63 / 65
Proof of Expertise
Refer to my 75+ videos, whitepapers, podcasts, etc.
Practice What I Preach
I left to start my own independent firm; just like I coach advisors on doing themselves.
🔍 As Seen In:
- "Answering Questions About Going RIA" (InvestmentNews)
- "Ask Brad: What Minimum AUM Do You Need to be Your Own RIA?" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "Warren Buffett On Up-Front Recruiting Checks" (FA Magazine)
- "Ask Brad: How Do I Start My Own RIA?" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "RIA Summit: Tuck or No Tuck: Pros & Cons Of Building Your RIA From Scratch vs. Tucking Into An established RIA" (panel presentation) (InvestmentNews)
- "An Inspired Perspective with Brad Wales Founder of Transition to RIA" (Inspire Growth)
- "10 More FAQs About Moving to the RIA Model" (ThinkAdvisor)
- "Ask Brad: The Overhyped New Marketing Rule" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "RIA Model" (presentation) (Financial Planning Association - Rhode Island Chapter)
- "Ask Brad: Stop Asking If You Need A Haircut"(Advisor Perspectives)
- "Are RIAs Better Marketers?" (Financial Advisor Marketing Podcast)
- "Ask Brad: The Math Problem Brokers Can’t Solve" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "Brad Wales on Transitioning to the RIA Model" (ModelFA Podcast)
- "Ask Brad: Is a CFP About to Become a Requirement for RIAs?" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "RIA Model" (presentation) (Financial Planning Association - Southern Arizona Chapter)
- "Is RIA Firm Marketing Easier Than Broker Dealer Marketing?" (Sara Grillo Podcast)
- "Ask Brad: Shawshank Redemption’s Lessons for Breakaway Advisors" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "Ask Brad: Transitioning to the RIA Model Under the Biden Administration" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "How To Leverage the Power of Outsourcing Through a Network of Referral Partners" (Top Advisor Marketing Podcast)
- "10 FAQs About Moving to the RIA Model" (ThinkAdvisor)
- "Weekend Reading for Financial Planners" (Kitces.com)
- "Ask Brad: Do I Have to be 100% Fee-based to Start My Own RIA?" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "How Advisors Are Transitioning to RIAs" (Indigo Marketing Agency Webinar)
- "Transition To RIA" (SharkPreneur Podcast)
- "Ask Brad: Do RIAs Have to Pay for Their Own Compliance?" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "Why the Breakaway Broker Exodus Hasn’t Happened" (Advisor Perspectives)
- "Record Number Of US Business Applications Have COVID-19 Stamped All Over Them" (International Business Times)
(Mentions starting as-of late 2020)